Mata Pelajaran : BAHASA INGGRIS
Sat. Pendidikan : SMA
Kelas / Program : XI IPA-IPS ( SEBELAS IPA-IPS )
1. Tulis nomor dan nama Anda pada lembar jawaban yang disediakan
2. Periksa dan bacalah soal dengan teliti sebelum Anda bekerja
3. Kerjakanlah soal anda pada lembar jawaban
4. Gunakan waktu dengan efektif dan efisien
5. Periksalah pekerjaan anda sebelum diserahkan kepada Pengawas
Choose the best answer
112 Die in France from July Heat Wave
A heat wave that struck Europe last month killed 112 people in France, on Thursday, many of them were elderly. Of the people whose deaths were attributed to the sweltering temperatures in France, 66 of them were age 75 or up. French officials said, “This year people must be more careful to avoid a repeat of the summer of 2003, when 15,000 people, most of them elderly, died of heat related causes.
1. Who suffered a lot from the heat wave?
- Young people
- Old people
2. Why were the French officials said that people must be more careful about this year heat wave?
- Because the present condition is better
- Because the present condition is worse that that in 2003
- Because in 2003 more people had died
- Because they didn’t want more people die
- Because they were responsible for the citizen’s safety
3. “Of the people whose deaths were attributed to the sweltering temperatures . . . “
The underlined word has almost the same meaning as the word . . .
- Due to
- Comply with
- Associate with
- In response to
- For the sake of
4. What is the newsworthy event of text 7?
- French officials said “This year, people must be more careful to avoid a repeat of the summer of 2003.”
- A heat wave that struck Europe last month killed 112 people in France, on Thursday, many of them were elderly.
- Of the people whose deaths were attributed to the sweltering temperatures in France, 66 of them were age 75 or up.
- Many of them were elderly.
- When 15,000 people, most of them elderly, died of heat related causes.
The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy comprising of four constituent countries; England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The first three situated in Great Britain, which is an island that lies off the North West coast of Europe. The island is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the North Sea to the east. Meanwhile, Northern Ireland is located in Ireland, which is an island that lies off the West Coast of Great Britain. The island consists of Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic.
5. The purpose of the text is . . . .
- To describe the United Kingdom
- To inform about the United Kingdom
- To retell about the United Kingdom
- To explain about the United Kingdom
- To persuade people about the United Kingdom
6. Which country is not situated in Great Britain?
- England, Wales and Scotland
- Northern Ireland
7. Where is the island of Ireland situated? It lies off . . .
- The east coast of Great Britain
- The west coast of Europe
- The west coast of Great Britain
- The west coast of Atlantic Ocean
- The east coast of North Sea
8. What do you call the text 8 above?
I personally believe that libraries are among humanity’s most important institutions for several reasons.
Firstly, most of humanity’s collective knowledge is stored in libraries. Secondly, libraries protect and preserve this knowledge. They also classify or group the materials into logical and easily available divisions.
Furthermore, libraries make the materials available to everyone and even provide librarians to help us find what we need.
Finally, libraries are our link to the past and our gift to the future.
From the facts above, I conclude that libraries are important institutions for humanity.
9. Libraries are among humanity’s most important institutions for . . . reasons.
10. Libraries also classify or group the materials into logical and easily available divisions . . . readers can find the materials easily.
11. “Libraries are our link to the past and our gift to the future.”
This means that we . . . to the past and the future by libraries.
- is linked
- was linked
- were linked
- are linked
- am linked
12. What do you call the text above?
- Analytical exposition
- Hortatory exposition
13. The organization of the text 5 is . . .
- thesis - arguments - reiteration
- thesis - arguments - recommendation
- general statement – a sequence of explanations - closing
- identification - description
- general classification - description
14. “From the facts above, I conclude that libraries are important institutions for humanity.”
The last paragraph of the text is called the . . .
Julia Ward Howe and Anna Jarvis were the best known pioneers who took up the cause of Mother’s Day in the United States. Julia Ward Howe’s “Mother’s Day” in 1872 was a call for disarmament by women. Anna Jarvis, in 1907, organized a day to raise awareness of poor health condition in her community, a cause she believed would be best advocated by mothers. She called it “Mother’s Work Day.” In 1914, US President, Woodrow Wilson signed a Joint Declaration. He declared the second Sunday of May as Mother’s Day, the day to honor motherhood. Today, however, some may think that the commercial community purposely created Mother’s Day to make some extra money.
Nowadays, this auspicious day has literally become commercial affair. Many people spend their time buying material gifts for their mothers. In order to sell more products, many restaurants, gift shops, cake shops and florists usually give special offers on Mother’s Day. Consequently, their cash registers keep ringing non stop. Obviously, Mother’s Day has become a major profit makes for businesses.
It is important to remember that the reason behind celebrating Mother’s Day is to say thanks to the most important person in our life – our mother. It is the day to tell her how much we love her and how special she is for us.
Therefore, instead of merely giving material gifts, giving our mother what she needs and really wants is more precious. Showing off our love by spending more time with her, for example, will certainly give us nothing but heartfelt thanks and real gratitude from our mother.
15. Some people thought Mother’s Day was . . . .
- purposely created just to make money
- created to honor the mother
- created to make the mother happy
- created to respect the mother
- created to pay tribute to mother
16. Who was the creator of Mother’s Day?
- Anna Jarvis d. Mary Thompson
- President Woodrow Wilson e. Joan of Arc
- Julia Ward Howe
17. What did Julia Ward Howe do in the 19th century?
- She worked for the NGO.
- She worked in a military service.
- She called for disarmament by women.
- She raised awareness of poor health conditions in her community.
- She became a charity worker.
18. When did the Mother’s Day become officially recognized?
- In 1758 d. In 19th Century
- In 1924 e. In 1914
- In 1800
19. According to the text, when the Mother’s Days celebrated?
- On the 1st week of June d. On the 2nd week of April
- On the 2nd week of May e. On the 1st week of December
- On the 3rd week of May
20. What does Mother’s Day bring to the commercial community?
- It brings havoc to the commercial community
- It brings problems to the commercial community
- It brings adversities to the commercial community
- It brings disasters to the commercial community
- It brings immense business to the commercial community